Friday, December 14, 2007

I Need You to Please Explain the War


I Feel Just Like A Child by Devendra Banhart (Cripple Crow, 2005)
A cosmic visionary with an unprecedented, unhinged and often-hilarious approach to song writing, Devendra Banhart is our guy. If the world had more artists like him, we would be living in a much more, peaceful, fun and karmic environment. We are currently recruiting an army of Devendra Banharts to take over the world. Please join the movement!

“I Feel Just Like A Child” is Devendra’s seminal tune that offers an amazing rhythmic stomp – in a 12 bar blues progression – with a vocal warble that evokes the sounds of the 1920s and 1930s and laugh-out-loud lyrics about how he’s stuck in a perpetual state of arrested development. “From being my daddy’s sperm to being packed in a urn, I am a child” and “from sucking on my mommy’s breast until they lay my toes to rest, I am a child,” are the two lines that sold me – completely.

Here’s an awesome live clip of the tune. I hope you enjoy the dancing hippie.

1 comment:

אליש said...

Great song.
Check out his Crib. Not as impressive..