Sunday, December 16, 2007

I Don’t Think I Will Ever Return Again, My Friend


What Deaner Was Talking About (Chocolate & Cheese, 1994)
Ween is simply one of the greatest, versatile, hilarious, disturbing bands of all time. Fronted by faux-brothers Dean and Gene Ween, these guys definitely have the chops to write chart-topping songs that would send that cheese-ball John Mayer back to Connecticut. However, they choose not to. Instead we are regaled with scatological songs in a country/western, nautical, heavy-metal, folk (pretty much every genre) theme that are beautiful, thrilling and jarring – all in one.

“What Deaner was Talking About” is the second to the last track on Ween’s highly acclaimed (in my top 5) album, Chocolate & Cheese. The song is a pop respite at the end of a musical journey lined with songs about Philadelphia, AIDS, sick horses, fiestas and spinal meningitis. The melody could easily have come from the great Paul McCartney. If the combined key board/guitar solo – which matches the melody – does not put a smile on your face, then you have serious problems. The meaning of the song is unclear, but the staff at Sound & Vision have a loose hypothesis: it’s about a psychedelic hangover. Check out this post-rehab live clip.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

ahhh the sweet sounds of Ween, in my opinion one if not the best band ever. First off, they are not greedy money makers, they allow downloading of songs, taping/recording of shows and sharing. Deaner might be one of the most underrated guitarrists. He can break down any tune with emotion that you can feel. However, I say this because my love for Ween is unconditional like a mother's love. They can release/create or play any song and I think it is the best thing ever created.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the comment Katie. I totally agree. I have an unconditional love of Ween...they are completely true to their art form...they would never sell out. Good point about Deaner's guitar playing. Mike and I have talked about how he has a gnarly solo for EVERY song...its always note-perfect. By the way, Your Party is the best tune...can't believe they got David Sanborn to play sax on that track.